Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am Joel Neo from SIE 2016 T4. I am writing this letter to introduce myself, hoping that it will allow you to get to know me better. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Hotel and Leisure Facilities Management. It dawned on me that I had an interest in engineering when I found myself getting curious about how appliances around the house work and how to fix it should an issue arise. Other than an interest in engineering, I also have an interest in music. I try to develop myself in this area by learning to play instruments and other musical skills.

My strength in communication lies in the ability to adjust my manner of speaking befitting of the setting I am in. Should I be in a more formal environment such as a meeting, I am able to structure the way I speak fitting of the formal mood.

My greatest shortcoming in communication is public speaking. I always feel uneasy speaking in front of a group of unfamiliar faces, no matter the group size. Every time I speak in front of people, I tend to stutter and slip into a state of mind blankness. I believe that having an introverted personality and the lack of confidence in myself may have been contributing factors of this drawback.

At the end of this module, I hope to see improvements in my public speaking skills. I want to be able to speak in front of a group of strangers confidently as well as provide my audience with a good presentation. Another goal I want to achieve is to develop my writing ability. Even though I am able to write fluently, it is still far from ideal in all aspects.

I believe that learning is a never-ending journey, and I constantly seek to learn new things and hone the skills I already possess. I am looking forward to learning from you and improving over the weeks ahead.

Yours sincerely,

Joel Neo


Revised 30/11/2020

Comments

  1. Thanks, Joel, for this letter. I look forward to reading comments from your peer readers, and then I'll add my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joel,

    Thanks for sharing, it was a pleasure reading your introduction letter.

    Firstly, I feel that you have covered most of the content required with detailed explanation except that you did not mention what differentiate you from others. Other than that, I think you did a great job. I like that you indicate the possible root cause of stuttering during presentation could be because of an introverted personality. It gives me a better understanding on your communication weakness.

    Secondly, I like that you started the paragraph with the subject of the content such as “my strength in communication….”, “my greatest shortcoming….”. It is very organized, and it gave me a heads up on what I am reading.

    Overall, I truly enjoyed reading your letter and I hope to get to you more moving forward. I hope that my feedback can help you improve on your future writing.

    Best regards,
    Tobias Hanputra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tobias,

      Thank you for taking time to read my letter and I appreciate your detailed review of my introductory letter. I would make amends according to the comments made.

      Regards,
      Joel Neo

      Delete
  3. Dear Joel,

    Thank you for sharing this clear and concise introductory letter of yourself!

    I feel that most of the content written was well elaborated and I like how your daily lives (as mentioned, appliances around the house) has impacted you to spark an interest in engineering. It would be nice if you could touch on what differentiates you from the rest so that your classmates and I can learn more about you!

    In terms of organization, it is clean and the flow is good. I really like the language use on how your elaboration of your strengths could be further sharpened.

    All in all, I really enjoyed your letter and I hope to learn more about you in the upcoming weeks!

    Best regards,
    Zann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zann,

      Thank you for taking time to read my letter. I have read your comments and I would amend my letter based on them. It is great to see that you enjoyed reading my letter.

      Regards,
      Joel

      Delete
  4. Dear Joel,

    Thanks for this well organized, informative letter. You open up and share a bit about your background, your interest in engineering and your communication abilities. From my perspective, the fact that your interest in engineering started with gadgets at home makes perfect sense. I only wonder how that translated into you completing your secondary school and poly studies. Did you see a connection between those household gadgets and math and physics early on?

    Language wise this is quite a good letter. There is only one sentence that sounds odd to me: 'I am looking forward to learn from you and improve over the weeks ahead.'

    What about this?

    ' I look forward to learning from you and improving over the weeks ahead.'

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Blackstone,

      Thank you for reading my letter. With regards to my interest in engineering, I used to like math and physics in secondary school. However I only realised that i had an interest in engineering when I was in poly.
      I would make amends based on the comment made regarding that sentence in the ending paragraph.

      Regards,

      Joel

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Summary

Critical Reflection